miércoles, 22 de diciembre de 2010

Knitting and reading

Wanna know what I've been doing these past days (besides house chores)? Knitting. Usually I study japanese or practise my french in my free time but I want to give my Maridito a handmade scarf.

I learned to when I was like nine and recently put it into practice. Turn's out I haven't forgotten how to knit, but I didn't realize how much time you had to put into it. Thus, I'm dedicating it most of my spare time. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it in time for Xmas but if not I'll figure something out. Turn it into a base for a letter or something. (I know that sounds implausible but just imagine it as a normal sheet of paper and instead of ink textile paint).

Since leisure time is scarce for me I can only indulge myself with reading while I simultaneously feed my Belle Fille. (Just in case you haven't caught on from earlier posts or this is your first time reading my entries, I'm referring to my daughter that's a few months old). I've had a yearning for Jane Austen and since I recently finished "Pride and Prejudice", I started reading "Mansfield Park". I haven't gotten all that ahead in the story, but I can safely say that I'm enjoying myself. I like the cadence that is so caracteristic in Austen's novels, how things flow softly but surely, like a stream that ends in a quiet beautiful lake.

That's actually a good description of the state I'm in when reading these sort of books: sitting down on a soft blanket with my back to a nice birch tree that gives a small, light shade as to prevent the glare from the sun overhead while allowing my feet to bask in the warm sunlight. A clear, calm lake in view with a duck or two and grass all around. Yep. That's me reading Jane Austen.

I have also benefited vocabulary speaking, from these books. Where else can you find odd, fun but still proper words but in olden english literature? Where else can you find a word such as whim or the expression "fancy that"? I'm afraid my writting style has been a bit influenced as to make me sound a little off now and then. However, it fits me pretty well since I'm also a little off sometimes, being true to myself even when writting. This last statement, by the way, has great writting potential in itself and I will pursue it in the near future.

I don't know if I'll write before Christmas, especially with the knitting needed to be done. Anyway...

Merry Christmas!

Happy New Year!

Bye now ;)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...